Monday, February 8, 2010

Picasso's got nothin' on these two

Royce and I are both painters although it's been a while since we had the time to do something new. We plan on giving the girls opportunities to learn and get messy and have an appreciation and love of creating. It's been proven that children appreciate the qualities of good art supplies. Nothing is worse than having to use paint that's watery and runny or paper that's thin and can't take a beating. I remember in elementary school being excited for art day only to be let down by cheap supplies that made creating a disappointment. I wanted my red RED, not washed out pink! I wanted my sea of blue a deep and beautiful blue, not a pastel sky blue! Unfortunately since the girls are only a year old I had to go with the horrible Crayola finger paints simply for the non-toxic qualities. Good thing I did because Adia ate her first two handfuls. So much for a discriminating palate! As soon as they get over their infatuation of eating everything that they pick up we will raid my art supply boxes! On a side note I'm pretty sure I could have made better finger paint with corn starch, water and food coloring.

In honor of Grandpa Greg's favorite holiday the girls painted him valentines.

Both girls knew exactly what to do when I dropped a blob of each color on their paper. Rasa was meticulous in her placement and movement of the color on the paper. She was careful and stayed very clean. She was quiet and concentrated. I think I could have kept her focused for an hour easily.






Adia went after the paint with enthusiasm. She ate it, put it on her face, in her hair and slapped the paper with her messy hands! She thoroughly enjoyed herself. I have a feeling if I rolled out a long roll of paper on the floor with paints Adia would probably jump on it and paint with her body!






We had a lot of fun! I'm really looking forward to coming up with more ways to allow the girls to be creative, use their hands and have fun.

No comments: